Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Ice Ride

So, for the past two days I have been stuck in my house. First, there was between 2 and 4 inches of snow and then it iced over (Okay, northern folks...I live in the South, we don't get that much snow or ice!)  So, this morning I decided that I should venture out on my little commuter with cross tires.  Now, if you know me at all, this is amazing because I hate, hate, HATE the cold.  People! I am from Texas where we can have a month of days over 100 degrees and not bat an eye but if there is a drop of snow or ice, we will close the entire state for a week. Anyway, I bundle up and I am SURE I looked ridiculous.  I have bags on my feet - thanks Pat D. for this tip, a goofy hat on and two pair of gloves.  So, out I go.  I can tell I am not the only one who has not ventured out in two days.  The streets are almost completely quiet and the cars are covered in ice and snow.  The road is fine but when I get to the trail...ICE!  Now, I am not a mountain biker but I like to be in the woods and toodle along.  I do think 5 miles of riding in the woods should sometimes equal 20 on the road.   The woods are actually gorgeous with the snow and ice.  The sun is hitting the ice on the trees and glistening, the trail is pretty with the ice and snow in almost pristine condition.  It was almost peaceful even with my tires crunching the snow as I slowly roll along.  Turns were interesting and if I had to dodge a tree, it could have been a disaster.  I make a short circle in the woods and head for home.  As I exit the trails, I see people out scaping ice off their cars and getting ready to head out.  This actually made me sort of sad.  I guess I don't mind when life is a little slower and things are quiet and peaceful and we are not rushing around like crazy people.  Guess this brought me back to the real world.  So, my total ride was a little over 3 miles but I keep thinking in my quest for 10,000 miles this year, 3 miles could make all the difference.

No comments: