Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A post you can actually use-how to pack your bike bag

As I was repacking my bike bag to ride this morning, I thought of my dear friend, Ginger.  She taught me this valuable trick some time ago and while I would love to say I thought of it, I didn't!! However, it is extremely valuable and thought I would share it with you!

How to pack your bike bag that goes on your bike:

1. Gather your supplies.  I carry two tubes, two Co2s, two Co2 heads, 3 tire levers and an alien tool.  Why?  1) I have gotten two flats on one ride, 2) if a friend has a flat you have spare stuff, 3) if you have one flat and forget to reload your bag, you still have one set of repair supplies, 4) if you lose one Co2 head on the road, you still have an extra.

So, how do you get all this stuff in that little bag...here's Ginger's trick...take the tubes and wrap them in plastic wrap.  It gets all the air out and makes them smaller.  So, I actually hate plastic wrap so if that doesn't work, use aluminum foil.  You can still squeeze the tube together tight. It is not quite as effective but it will work in a pinch.  As you can see I have one in plastic wrap and one in aluminum foil. 

2. It depends on the size of your bag but usually putting the tubes at the bottom and a Co2 cartridge in the middle works for me.  Then work the rest of the goodies into the bag.  See, I have my tubes at the bottom, one Co2 on the bottom.  My alien tool, other Co2 and tire levers are on top.  You can't see this but there is a pocket on the inside of the flap and that's where one of the Co2 heads are and one is actually on Co2 cartridge to save a little more space. It might be a tight squeeze but you can do it now the tubes are much smaller!  Thanks again Ginger!  Do you really need all this stuff?  Maybe not the additional Co2 head but the rest I would take!

3. Yes, I really do have all this stuff in my bag and on my bike.  Stop me and I will show barring I don't have a flat and forget to repack it.  Not only do I have it on my bike, I have bottle holders on the back of my bike and my bag is tucked under that.  This is very useful also because in the summer, I go on long rides with few stops and I drink a ton of water/electrolytes. 

Now, go ride your bike! 

1 comment:

Living The Tri Life said...

HeeHeeHee!!!! Yay!!! Looks good!

Ginger