Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Las Vegas Marathon…

Las Vegas Marathon…
We finished. There were some times I was sort of doubtful. At mile 5, we renewed our vows and that took 32 minutes off our time. The first five miles was fine and we were moving out. It was awesome as we were right up front as all the couples who were getting married or renewing their vows. As we ran down the strip, there were tons of fireworks and the first five miles whizzed by. After the ceremony, we ran fine for awhile until about mile 8-9 and then my belly and my nutrition were not happy at all. From miles 8 or 9 to about 15, Matt had to help me get through. My belly and head were not happy. Luckily, Matt was there to help. At about mile 17, I was desperate for gel and thank goodness I overpacked because the marathon did not have gel at their appointed spots. Mile 19 – Matt handed me his last gel, thank goodness. Matt’s knee started to really hurt and then I got to return the favor of his earlier support. We ran through the last few miles but there were sooooooooooooooo long. The last mile in particular was so long and it was never ending. My feet hurt so bad I thought they were going to fall off. Finally, Matt got me through the last few meters because I hurt so bad. My feet hurt. We finished and we were both very very thankful. We walked slowly back to our hotel and managed to get in the shower and hope to get some yummy food.

Pluses for Las Vegas Marathon
-Lots of bathrooms with plenty of toilet paper and hand sanitizer and very few lines.
-Lots of Elvi…
-Water stops right at mile markers, plenty of water and Gatorade
-Lots of food and goodies at the end of the race
-Mostly flat course that one could easily PR at.
-Good expo
-Perfect weather
-Can renew vows

Minuses
-No gel where promised
-Two long stretches that sort of were a mind thing
-Scwhag was sort of sad
-T-shirt was really disappointing, this is Las Vegas after all. I expected something a little flashier

Next year Las Vegas will be a Rock and Roll event and that might be even better.
The most important thing is that we did it together and helped each other along the way. Plus we got to renew our vows and that was fun with lots of Elvi as witnesses.

No comments: