Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

13.1 down and 26.2 to go...

Today was the Disney Half. I was not sure what to expect because I was so not ready so I was honestly prepared for it to suck! The race starts at 5:50 am and you have to be on the bus before 4 am...I did not know this until this morning when I went to catch the bus and a lady in the hall told me so...luckily, there was a bus waiting outside and off we went. At Disney, you have to walk quite a ways to the start point (so much so they should add it to the race!). So, I ran the first mile in under 11 minutes and thought it would slow down from there. At the expo, I bought some ITB straps in hope that my ITB would be okay. It was until mile 4 when I had the first twinge of pain! This is a huge improvement - usually I feel in the first mile. It was fine until mile 7 or 8 when it came a little harder. I got through this and kept up under 11 minute miles (expect when I had to go to the bathroom)! I got to the 10 mile mark and I was a few minutes behind the pace I had set in my mind. Luckily, I felt pretty good and finished the race strong (fastest mile of the whole race)! It was fun to run through Disney and see the characters and run through Cinderella's castle! Now, I think maybe I finished too strong and will pay for it tomorrow. Today, I kept walking and we went to MGM Hollywood Studios. I did have to bail early because I was pooped! After a nap and dinner, I hope I am ready for tomorrow. 26.2 to go, hope it goes as well as today! My ITB hurts now but the straps really do help.

Wish I had trained harder and stronger because I think I can run faster than I do...woulda, shoulda, coulda...all I can do is do my best now.

Got a comment on my blog from a friend I admire because he can convince people that they can do anything they want! It was very inspiring to me! I hope he is right and this might be the year of Jen the Bicycle Bad A**! However, after talking with my mom in-law at dinner, I have to remember why I do this stuff...because I like. Sometimes I just want to ride my bike and chat with people, enjoy the scenery, and have fun - oh, and breathe! Yes, I want to go faster but that is not the reason I ride my bike, run, or swim or anything like that.

Another inspiring thing, my in-laws, husband and I walked the 5K on Friday. It was so fun! My in-laws had been working very hard but got really really sick over the holidays and did not think they would be able to do it. Well...they did and they did awesome! In just over 50 minutes, my mom in-law and I walked like crazy people through Animal Kingdom and she did not breathe heavy even though she was not 100%! Matt and his Dad followed very shortly and it was so awesome! FUN! Then we went back to Animal Kingdom for the day!

So, tomorrow run...relax...Monday and Tuesday - Epcot and Magic Kingdom and Wednesday-go home and teach spinning. Hopefully, I can lose some weight once I get home and feel better about myself. Right now...I feel like a WHALE!!!!

Better get to bed 3:35 am comes awfully fast!!!!

No comments: