Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I believe in you.

My friend, Kathy, has breast cancer.  We have a long history together as she was pregnant with her son when my mom was pregnant with me.  So, it is safe to say she has known me my WHOLE life!  Kathy writes these wonderful letters and sends the best care packages and I have been fortunate enough to receive lots of them over many moons.  She and I went to every bar on a cruise boat one night on my mom's 50th birthday cruise!  She was at Ironman Florida.  This New Year's I was fortunate enough to spend time with her and Kenny in a beautiful place.  I am sure that my mother has told her many of my adventures.  She is probably one of the most wonderful people I have ever known.  She is kind, she is beautiful, she is always smiling and she is thoughtful.  When my Mom told me she had breast cancer, it was like one of my favorite aunts had been diagnosed.   We have had a lot of cancer over the years and the C word scares me to death.  My Dad died from lung cancer (quit smoking Folks!), my Mom had uterine cancer, my StepDad had prostate cancer, and although undiagnosed we think my Grandma had some type of cancer.  My friend, Alexa, had breast cancer and was still in remission when I met her years later.  My other friend, Ruth, had breast cancer when I worked with her at Holy Trinity.  To me, the thought of Kathy having breast cancer scared me to death.  Here is what I know...I know she is strong and she can do this.  However, I love to send cards so every so often I send her a card when I see a good one and today at Target, I saw one and it said:

I believe in mind over matter.

I believe in the human spirit to prevail.
I believe in miracles & blessings, both great & small.
I believe in possibilities.
I believe that hurdles in life are meant to be jumped over, not as something to stop us.
I believe in you.

This card about brought me to tears in the card aisle in Target.  Why?  (Well, I may have PMS) Because I do believe in all of these things and I do believe in Kathy.  Sometimes I wish someone would say that to me but I believe in Kathy and I just know all will be okay!  My Mom told me recently she was going through radiation and it wasn't going the best.  Radiation is poison.  Somehow it works but I don't know how a poison can work in your body.  I am sure I could Google it.  I remember meeting my Dad after he had radiation and it was not great.  I have been spared most of the bad stuff with cancer, I have seen a few hard times and I have no idea what that must be like.  But there are only a few people I know that are this strong and Kathy is one of them. 

But here is the point to you...I believe in you whoever you are and you should believe in yourself.  You can do whatever you set your mind to.  There will be hurdles but there will also be many miracles and blessings (big and small) and many possibilities.  Sometimes all you need to get to where ever you are going is for someone to believe in you. 

No comments: