Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

You know how you say, we need to plan to get together again, but never do.

Today, my Mom sent me an email about one of her former co-workers, Ruffin.  He passed yesterday and she wrote me this today about him, "You know how you say, we need to plan to get together again, but never do."  Ruffin was a kind, gentle man in my mind and I think my parents are really sad about his passing.

So, this got me to thinking about what she said, "You know how you say, we need to plan to get together again, but never do."  When I was in high school, I had a boyfriend, John K., whose Mom passed while we were dating and this actually taught me a lot.  It taught me to always say I love you and get together when you should.  So, I have always tried to say I love you and get together when I could.  I have not always succeeded but I am human.  Today, we had a car wash and when I left I made Bob M. hug me and said "because you just never know"  and you don't.  So, hug the ones you love and get together with the folks you want to because you just never know.

What does this have to do with riding a bike?  Honestly, I don't know.  I can only think of saying we should ride and then don't and then what if something happened?  How would you feel?  So what if that person is faster, slower, etc, etc.  Life is short!  People are gone before you know it.  Maybe not just through death but moving or changing hobbies.  Who knows?  So, if you care about someone or want to ride, DO IT!!!!!!!!    You don't know and you might end up with regrets.  Don't do that. 

Besides the obvious, this thought makes me so sad.  My husband is active duty military.  While I am so proud of him for serving and giving up probably 5-7 years apart from his family (and people probably shooting at him), I know this means we will probably be moving within the year and this makes me so sad.  Sad because I have been blessed with lots of cycling friends that I may never see again.  Do they care? I hope so.  I care.  I have been inspired by lots of cycling friends that I may never say that to or see after I leave.  And like my Mom I say we will get together or stay in touch but I know that we probably won't.  Not out of some mean intention but life tends to get in the way.  Soon, we will have less memories of each other but then one day we will wish we shoulda, woulda, coulda and it's too late.   Don't do it folks.  Love the people you care about and do get together.  I am going to do my best to do that because it's important and I don't want to be a shoulda, woulda, coulda.  You don't do it either.  Life is short!