Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Time flies when you are having fun.

Tomorrow is our 14th wedding anniversary.  Time flies when you are having fun!  So, I thought I would share 10 things I have learned from 14 years of marriage.
1) Be yourself.  If you are as lucky as I am, your spouse really does love you for you, no matter your flaws.
2) Learn how to be alone.  This sounds crazy.  My husband is often gone 9-10 months out of the year.  I have to be alone.  So, I try (and don't always succeed) to embrace that.
3) People shouldn't be able to have a $10,000+ wedding or any wedding until they have been married at least 5 years.  Why?  Really those are the years you figure out if you can be with that person forever!
4) Learn how to be self-supporting and how to call the mechanic, do 12 things at once, figure out how to get to work and get your car to the shop and somehow have time to ride your bicycle, etc, etc, I often say if I waited on a man to do something then I would be waiting til I was dead.  That sounds mean but it's not.  The more you are self-supporting and know how to do things, you will feel better and your significant other will feel better if they are called away. 
5) It's okay to love someone with your whole heart and just know that you are #1 in their life.  NO MATTER WHAT!  This is hard for me...sometimes I feel unimportant but my husband makes me feel like I am the most important thing in his life and every decision he makes is for us, not just him.
6) Get over the little stuff...when you are young and newly married, you often get all jacked up over stuff that doesn't really matter. 
7) It's okay to miss the way your husband/wife smells. Sometimes I will run across something that smells like my Doodle Bug and it is the best smell.
8) Love your in-laws.  These are the people who made your spouse who they are.  They, like you, only want the best for their child.  A lot of times, it has nothing to do with you.
9) Make sure your spouse always kiss you good night. I go to bed way earlier than my husband and every night he is here, he tucks me in and kisses me good night.  Even if you are mad at them, because that one kiss makes everything okay.  I even bought a sign that hangs close to my bed that says Kiss Me Good Night!
10) Despite popular opinion, walk away when you are mad.  This will benefit you and your spouse in many ways.  In our house, when we argue and walk away...our house is crazy clean.  Or I have rode my bicycle to China and back.   Really, I usually only stay really mad for an hour or so.  Then I am done with it.  So, embrace it, deal with it right away and move on.

Thanks for letting me share this.  Every marriage is different. I am thankful for having a husband who loves me for me.

No comments: