Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

That don't kill me can only make me stronger...

Finished a great ride with my buds, Hal and Leo, this afternoon. I got over 45 miles in and tried to stay in a low heart rate zone. I also got my weights and yoga in today. I feel great today and am still so hopeful for a PR at IM Louisville. I need to really get working on the hills and hopefully I can get stronger without killing myself! I also need to get working on my running.

On my email signature, I have the folllowing quote:
You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Honestly, I have spent a lot of my life afraid of things. Eleanor Roosevelt is right...every time I do something that I am afraid of, I get stronger. I must do the thing which you think you cannot do. What is that? PR at Louisville in the rolling hills, get my doctorate degree, become a full professor at an university...what else? Who knows! Thankfully, my parents have never told me I could not do anything...yes, they worry, but they never say I cannot do things. I think it is okay to be scared sometimes because then you have a healthy respect for whatever it is.

Have I ever looked fear in the face? Yes...I do not need to elaborate but I have looked it in the face and sometimes it wins and sometimes I win. I wish often that I was stronger but each experience gives me something I need to get stronger. What have you done to look fear in the face? It might be as simple as walking into a restaurant and eating alone but whatever you fear, facing it only makes you stronger. Are there things I purposely avoid? Absolutely and I know I need to face them and I am scared to death. One step forward is a step in the right direction.

No comments: