Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Grumpy...and Special Olympics


Saturday, we went to the Special Olympics qualifer. We (Leo, Bob, Tom, Nicole, Andrew and myself) coach 10 athletes in cycling and the athletes must go to a qualifer in order to participate in the State Special Olympics held in November. Our first group of athletes rode 500 meters and they did great. Our next set of athletes had to ride 5 kilometers. The event was held on the inner track of a race track and had two really sharp turns. Alex, Anson and Michael all crashed in this turn. They each hit hard and it looked just terrible. Anson and Michael got right back on their bikes. Alex, who rode last year, took a little coaxing on but they each got back on and finished. It was so scary. However, we were all so proud that each of them finished the qualifer. This is a very rewarding experience because the athletes do not really care who wins or loses. They just ride for the fun of it.


Sometimes I think most of us lose why we started riding and ride to see who is the fastest, strongest, or best climber. Not only do we ride to see who is the best but then we criticize those who are not as fast as others. I have lost that for sure because I am so worried about being slow and weak that I sometimes do not enjoy the ride at all. Luckily, next week I will be riding across North Carolina and can take as much time as I need because I will be on my schedule. No stress of trying to keep up or feeling weak because I cannot keep up and getting mad at myself because of it. No, next week is just about riding.

Today, I woke up in a bad mood. Have you ever done that? I do not want to run, lift weights, ride my bike or teach spinning. This, my friends, is called Burn Out. Of course to add to this I feel like I weigh 1,000,000 pounds (no comments please). This has led me to the conclusion that I am suffering from a temporary form on insanity, otherwise known as PMS. I should be okay in a few days. I feel sorry for the people who run across my path today and are not very nice. I should wear a warning label today...do not irritate, could potentially explode.

No comments: