Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Bless his heart...

If you are from the South, you know that you can say almost anything to anyone as long as you say bless your heart. Well, I actually say this a lot and I do not mean it that way. However... today, on my way home I just about got run off the road by an old man from Florida...bless his heart...he probably can't see that well with his bioficals and was trying to get back to the sunny weather of Florida!!!

Reflecting on Ironman...
Swim-Did not like the individual start at all. I felt horrible the whole swim and was just miserable because I wasn't having any fun. I was afraid this would dictate the whole day. On the way out, you swim against the current and since the whole course was not set up during Gatorade swim, it was the first time we actually swam that part of the course. It seemed like forever until I got to the Ford turn buoy. Supposedly, when you made the turn the current was going to carry you in and make your swim time faster...right...the current pushed me alright...right into the shore and I feel like I actually swam about 3 miles. I was so frustrated and all my positive self talk was not helping!!!! I was so thankful to get out of the water. I was disappointed at my time but I got out...I was happy with my transition time though.

Bike-So, I hop on my bike and cannot get clipped in because there is so much mud and crap in my cleats. During the first mile, I try to switch into my big chain ring to take advantage of the flats and I dropped my chain. I could not pedal it back on so I had to get off my bike and put it back on. Then I couldn't get clipped in again. Finally on the road, I got in the groove after about 30 miles. Of course, after that was after the two biggest hills. (Thank goodness for Elizabeth telling me about these). After the out and back and the biggest hills, the wind was in my face and it sucked. Luckily, we went through LaGrange where there was tons of people including my parents so that helped. The second loop was much better. I flew in on the flats and wished I went to Florida where it was flat. I might have pushed a little too hard on the way in.

Slower transition from the bike...The run started out slow. Then I felt better and ran a little faster. I just tried to keep going from aid station to aid station. Thank God for volunteers and lots of water, gatorade and pretzels. I got through it although slow but I ran much better than Arizona. I did not want to stop at the last aid station but my legs were a little shaky and I knew I needed food. After a gel, water and a short walk, I ran it in slowly and finished 14:47:37. It wasn't a PR but it was a good day. Of course, I always think I could have done better during the day but I did the best I could at the time and that is all I can do.

Today, my quads are sore (which is not fun when trying to get to the restroom on a 10 hour road trip) but I have a massage tomorrow and am going to the chiropractor. A few more days off then back to training for the marathon with Doodle in Las Vegas. I hope I can lose some weight and get ready for a PR in Las Vegas. Then get fired up to go to Canada and hope for a PR there.

No comments: