Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Remember when I said no Ironman races in'09?


So, remember when I said I wasn’t doing an Ironman next year? Well, I signed up for Ironman Canada today. On Friday, I heard Ginger tell a customer that I had done all of the North American Ironman races except for Canada and Hawaii. The day before I received an email from NAS saying there were a limited number of entries opening at 9 am today. Well, after I sat in the hotel lobby refreshing the page, I got in. After I sent it in, I started to freak out that I did it. WOW! I have never been to Canada and I might as well go. Since it was quite quick, I did not get to ask Doodle so I hope he doesn’t freak out. He has been to Canada several times and encouraged me to go with Elizabeth to sign up a few years ago.

Back to the present…Yesterday, I made the drive to Louisville, Kentucky. It was raining from North Carolina almost to Kentucky. Through the mountains in West Virginia the fog was so thick I could barely see. Fortunately, it stopped and I stopped and put the top down on the Jeep. Along the way, I had a great experience. I did not have enough cash for a toll and the toll booth operator paid the rest for me. When I arrived in Louisville, everyone was super friendly. I walked around Louisville and it is quite nice. My parents arrived later and we had a lovely dinner complete with half a bottle of wine that my mom and I shared.

After a wonderful night’s sleep (I guess so with 3 glasses of wine), I woke up and ran and my legs felt pretty good. After a yummy breakfast, I swam in the Ohio River and it really wasn’t that bad. I then went and rode for an hour and felt quite confident about my bike. Of course, then I spent half an hour in the lobby signing up for Ironman Canada. Then my parents and I went to this cute diner named for a dog, Boomer. After lunch, we went to the Louisville Slugger museum. It was sooooooooooo neat! Outside is the world’s biggest baseball bat and inside was all sorts of neat stuff about the players who use the Louisville Slugger. Also, we had a tour of the factory where they made the baseball bats. There was also an exhibit of baseballs that presidents had signed. Then we went to the Frazier Museum, which is a museum about different periods of conflicts. It was interesting. After our tourist activities, I popped over to the World Fest. Then my beautiful and talented friend, Elizabeth, called and I got to visit with her and her mom! Elizabeth is one of my favorite people. She is absolutely beautiful, smart, funny, nice and FAST! She could easily qualify for Kona and I hope she will. Elizabeth used to live close to us but then her husband got stationed in Washington. Elizabeth and I went to the Ironman Welcome Dinner and headed over to CVS to get Gatorade. There it is…two days before Ironman. Tomorrow, we will swim for a little while. I will do a short brick and then head to Churchill Downs for a tour with my parents. It will be an early night and hope to sleep quite well. I still wonder if I set my goals too high and did not train hard enough. For Ironman Canada, I am considering hiring a coach and really get serious. I really need to train harder and lose some weight. I need to have a conservative but quality training plan. I know I can do better! I just know it. My coach now is delightful and really cute but she could probably benefit from a different point of view.

No comments: