Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Last Long Run before Ironman

This morning, my new good friend, Ginger, graciously ran slowly with me on my last long run before Ironman. It was no speed record by no means but we got it done and I am feeling much more confident in my run at Ironman. Today we ran 13 miles and I ran 4 miles yesterday so basically 17 miles in 24 hours so I know I can get through the other 9 miles. We ran on a local road where we saw several cyclists we knew which was fun, too! Thanks Ginger! You have no idea how much I needed that!

Yesterday, I ran 4 miles and swam 1350 yards. It was okay. I will be looking forward to a break after Ironman. Of course, this lasts about a week or so...

Honestly, I have been seriously considering giving up triathlon. Six Ironman races in five years is a lot (maybe not for some pros but for this Texas girl) and I think right now I am a little burned out - not to mention two 50 K runs, a 50 miler and countless other marathons and varying distance triathlons. I still want to cycle and run and maybe swim but training for long distances all the time has finally worn a little thin. Ginger told me today she has been doing triathlon for 23 years! WOW! First, if you saw her you would not believe she is over 23! Second, she said her secret is to spread those Ironman events out and add shorter distances for fun and speed work. Maybe after a short break I will consider this. I have not considered myself anything but a triathlete for the past few years so I cannot imagine being something else. Hopefully, her enthusiasm will rub off and get me back in the spirit before too long. I really do like long stuff as I am not a speed demon (yet) and I do not mind doing stuff forever! I really would like to do something entirely different but still get a workout...maybe salsa or something fun like that! However, I cannot imagine at least running and cycling.

My first true love is running and I love the "runner's high" during that perfect run when you feel completely balanced and all is right with the world. This is when I truly feel closest to God and appreciate all of the gifts we all so often overlook like the sun peeking out over the little pond in the woods. Unfortunately, I haven't felt that too much this year. Maybe after a break!

Enough of that stuff, 19 days to Ironman! Besides going to Louisville, seeing my delightful parents, doing IM, I am really looking forward to seeing my good friend, Elizabeth, at IM! She rocks! She qualified for Kona last year and hopes to again this year! Elizabeth is one of the most beautiful people I know, inside and out! She always has a great smile and an even better attitude! Her family is great, too!

Off to ride in an hour or so, lift weights tonight and try to squeeze in some yoga. Next week school starts back so I will be back teaching next Thursday. My free days are numbered but I will be thankful to get back to school and my students! They make me crazy but I love it somehow! Hopefully, I will be back in school too. I am awaiting approval to take a graduate class at UNCG this term and deciding if I will go back to graduate school for my Ed.D in Exercise and Sport Science. Imagine me being called a doctor...WOW! It could be as soon as 5 years away (hopefully less)! My Doodle is right...I will always be a lifetime student. Always learning is a good thing!

No comments: