Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another day, another drama

So, I get up this morning and despite reports of rain, it is not raining. I am feeling lucky because I have to ride my bike home after I drop the Jeep off at the Jeep dealership (to fix the repairs where the lady rearended me last week). So, I load up the bike and start on my way. About now it starts to pour. Oh well, the ride is about 8-9 miles and I can ride and get home, get a run in before I have to go to school. I drop off the Jeep and unload my bike and start to ride. I step down on the left pedal to clip in and I hear a strange noise. Then I realize that the left pedal is not coming up when I pull up. The crank is broken. Well, of course, I did not bring my cell phone because I did not want it to get wet (because I have already had to replace it from water damage not 3 weeks ago). So, I decide that I will ride over to the bike shop where I work part-time and fix the pedal myself. So, I ride about 2-3 miles to the bike shop, pedaling with one leg. So, imagine for a minute...I am riding in the pouring rain and can only pedal with one leg. I get to the shop and I cannot fix it. Wait, did I mention this is the bike I am doing Ironman in on Sunday? So, I call Sandy and ask her if I can borrow a bike to get home to get to school. I, of course, burst into tears when trying to explain this. She tells me to take any bike I need to and head home. So, I grab the easiest bike I can get to which is a 53 cm cyclocross bike, which is too big for me and of course, has the wrong pedals on it. I start home and while I can pedal with both legs, I cannot clip in and have to pedal on my toes because of my cleats. In the meantime, I lose both flat sides of the clipless pedals on the cyclocross bike. I get home and it stops raining. AAAAAHHHH! About now, you are probably asking yourself "Why did she not ask for help?" Hello, that would mean I would have to depend on someone else and do not want to trouble anyone. Being a Capricorn (whose sign is the goat), I am extremely stubborn and am convinced I can do everything on my own...even though I am continually reminded, I cannot! Oh well, more material for my best seller. At least the crank arm broke now and instead of at Ironman on Sunday. Now, I am convinced I will do great on Sunday because all the bad stuff has already happened.

No comments: