Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night tovisit violence on those who would do us harm."-George Orwell

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."-George Orwell

Today, I read this on a forwarded email. Like a lot of people I have been watching the Olympics religiously nightly (sometimes very late into the night) and while I am totally amazed at their athletic feats and blown away by their natural abilities, I have only heard one American athlete (funny it was an athlete that I don't really respect - Kobe Bryant) say anything about our troops overseas who have given them the ability to compete at these Olympic games. This is a subject I am extremely passionate about because one of those troops is my husband. He spends a lot of time away from home because of this. I even forget that he gives me the freedom to do all of these athletic feats (on a much smaller scale than the Olympics) and his willingness to visit violence on those who do us harm also allows me the freedom to do all of these things I take for granted. Most of us do not think of the war going on a daily basis far far away and we go on about our every day lives taking all of this for granted. We forget that there are actually people fighting for our freedom. Every night we go to bed and most of us do not give the troops another thought...these are the very people that allow us to go on about with our lives. We do not think of the sacrifices these troops make...and some will make and have made the ultimate sacrifice. It doesn't matter your political persuasion or your views on the war, we are able to sleep safely in our comfy beds every night because of these troops. What's the point? Just to make us all stop and think and maybe even say a quick prayer for our troops (past, present and future) and respect their undying devotion to our country. Some of them have given much more than any Olympic athlete competing today. Off the soapbox...

No comments: