Ride Your Bike

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Human Performance Testing at Meredith College

Today, I had my physiological testing done. This testing determines several things including: HR zones, VO2 Max, LT, Watts, Calories Burned (Carb/Fat) and Body Composition. First, let me tell you if you want to have this done, do it. It is a little pricey but I think it will only benefit folks. Here is their website (tell 'em I sent you), www.meredith.edu/hess/lab/default.html. I did my bike because I struggle the most on the bike. Fortunately, it told me exactly what I already knew...I train too much in the mushy middle zone (as Dr. Eschbach called it) and need to work harder on my hard days and easier on my easy days. My Vo2 max is on the low side - we can work with that, he assured me. My wattage (Which I have never used before but might start now) is on the low side too. My LT is low too but I knew that because it is really hard to get my heart rate up there. I also need to recover more...I know, I know!

The other thing he told me based on my body composition is that the goal is 19% and I am at 17.5% and my weight is okay. It would be okay for me to go to 15% and then I would need to lose 4 pounds instead of the 16 I have been trying to lose. That is good, I guess. I hate that I will probably never weigh 125 but I gues 135 is a good weight for me. He said as my muscle increases the number will go down but probably not that low. I wonder if I will ever be able to wear a size 6 ever again...I know that is good to hear but I would love to weigh less but I know that I will lose a lot of power that I am working so hard to get.

The test itself was pretty hard...After warming up, they put a mask on you to measure your noxious gases and you start ramping up the wattage every three minutes. Your RPE, HR, wattage, and blood from your ear (not sure exactly why but will find out) are tested every 3 minutes as well. After you reach your max RPE, you cool down. It takes about 2 hours for the whole test but that included warm up, getting the bike on the trainer, a shower, and results. Dr. Eschbach is awesome! He is super knowledgeable and really is very interested in your results! He wants to help you get better and reach your goals. Again, I would highly recommend this to any one looking to improve!

So, now the challenge, rewrite my IM Louisville plan this week to accommodate a few days where I kick my booty, take weights to 2 days and on my quality workout days, make my easier days easier, and recover more. I also want to add yoga. He suggested adding my spin classes that I teach to my workout plan so I can use them as recovery or my workout. I haven't done that in the past but I think I will. Now, I have more confidence that I can PR at IM Louisville and I wouldn't say that if I did not intend to do it.

So, to reward myself!!!YEAH ME! I went to Performance and Inside Out and shopped. I got two cute tops for working at IOS and shorts, and some swimming stuff. At Performance, just a HR monitor strap so I get back to working in my HRs because I left my HR strap in Arizona by accident. Then I came and took a nap (remember I need more recovery) and then I ordered my foam rollers for stretching online. My friend, Pat, called me and we chatted about my results. All in all, a great day! Off to ride with some of my best buds in a low HR zone with my one of my new tops, switching my hard ride to Thursday since I was up at LT this morning. Tomorrow, teaching my favorite spin class to the Wounded Warriors, doctor, swim, work and another spin class. I might lift weights tomorrow and then switch my days next week. Lifting twice a week would probably help my schedule. Dr. Eschbach said to make sure I was lifting hard and I do. I am usually sweating and it is hard. I like to lift because I feel strong plus when I work at the bike shop, I have to lift heavier bikes (unlike the carbon fiber Synapse) onto racks and usually do not need help from those boys! Also, when my Doodle is not home, I have to lift all the other crap too. Oh, the life of an army wife/triathlete/bike shop bum...Thank goodness my husband loves me and understands me! If not, I surely would be up a creek!

No comments: